Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

my sentimental mom

My mom is a sentimental kind of women.

She loves researching our family tree and tracking it back generations to generations.

She loves flowers and little trinkets and things that make you think of her.

She loves to remember precisely what the one thing was that you said you wanted a whole year before your birthday even comes. You forgot you even wanted it.

She loves to take walks with her grandkids, and read them books, and show them pictures of herself at their age, and tell them all about her childhood.

She loves to run marathons through all of the major cities in our country and put her medals in a special place where she can always see where she has been.

She loves to bike through Italy and see the beautiful landscapes and to make friendships that are life-long.

She loves learning more about her history and her family's history and see all of the sites they may have seen.

I'm nearly the opposite of all of that. But I appreciate and love her for these things all the more.

I get the opportunity to be an innocent bystander in her love parade with history and facts and lovely stories of her grandmother's kitchen and of Puerto Rico.

I get to learn from her hands that have been so many places and done so many things and worked so damn hard.

I get to learn from the wisdom that only comes with time and hard work and dedication to family and friends and work and play.

I get to witness her as a wife. And what an inspiration it is to see her love and affection within their marriage. And they get to show my children and be an inspiration to them.




Four generations of amazing women.

I am so grateful.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...